July 26, 2022
In this Issue:
- Materials Available from Webinar on CMS's Updated Nursing Home Guidance
- Webinar on Advocating for LGBTQ+ Residents
- NORC Grant Year Highlights
- Please Share: Consumer Voice Seeking Fall Interns
Materials Available from Webinar on CMS's Updated Nursing Home Guidance
The recording and materials are available from last week's webinar with Consumer Voice and representatives from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The webinar provided an overview of CMS's new Phase 3 guidance for nursing homes. Released on June 29, 2022, the new guidance is the result of CMS's 2016 revisions to the Medicare Requirements for Participation for Nursing Homes. The guidance is required to be followed by state oversight agencies when surveying and assessing nursing home compliance with the federal regulations.
Get the webinar materials.
Read Consumer Voice's Reference Guide and summary of the guidance.
Webinar on Advocating for LGBTQ+ Residents
Join Consumer Voice and the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center (NORC) for a webinar on Thursday, August 11th entitled "Voices for Equality: Advocating for LGBTQ+ Residents." While lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) residents in long-term care face many of the same concerns as straight residents, there are, however, unique historical and cultural considerations when working with this often invisible population. With a mix of policy, education, and resources, Ombudsman program representatives and advocates can address their individual, community, and systemic needs. This webinar will equip attendees with an understanding of the challenges LGBTQ+ residents face, build familiarity with federal, state, and local policy, and walk away with resources on LGBTQ+ inclusion, such as the new Long-Term Care Equality Index (LEI), a national LGBTQ+ benchmarking tool.
- Dan Stewart, MSG, Associate Director of the Aging Equality Project at the Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Sherrill Wayland, MSW, Director of Special Initiatives at SAGE
This webinar is open to all Long-Term Care Ombudsman programs and legal services providers.
NORC Grant Year Highlights
As the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center (NORC)'s grant year ends, it is extending thanks to the network of long-term care Ombudsman representatives for sharing your experiences, resources, epxertises and ideas. NORC is able to support Ombudsman programs because of funding from the Administration for Community Living/Administration on Aging (ACL/AoA).
NORC Highlights by the Numbers (July 2021 - June 2022)
- Responded to 1,350 requests for technical assistance. The top three requests regarding Ombudsman program management were training, volunteer management, and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) final rule.
- Provided 22 training opportunities, including 3 conferences, 10 webinars for State Ombudsmen, and 9 webinars for program representatives.
- Managed the Volunteer Management Listserv with 161 members.
- Created and managed the LTCOP Legal Counsel Listserv with 38 members.
- Published 49 email newsletters.
- Managed an online presence of 1,597 likes on Facebook, 462 follows on Twitter, and 104,603 visits to the NORC website.
Learn more about NORC.
Please Share: Consumer Voice Seeking Fall Interns
Consumer Voice is seeking a Graduate/Law Student Public Policy Intern for the Fall semester. This is a dynamic and exciting internship opportunity during which students will get hands on policy and advocacy experience with a well-established nonprofit. The position requires a time commitment of 20-25 hours per week. There is a stipend offered for this internship, and we are happy to assist students in receiving academic credit for their internship. Candidates must be enrolled in a graduate degree program and have exceptional writing and computer skills, research knowledge, and willingness to work on a wide range of projects.
Applications are due August 15th. Please share this opportunity with anyone interested.
Learn more about how to apply.